One World Democracy presents the only viable long-term solution to today’s most urgent global problems: democratic world government and the rule of enforceable global law—a federation of all nations.
After centuries of warfare, Europe has accomplished just such a transformation by outlawing war between the member states of the European Union. This book shows how to do the same thing at the global level through implementing the only time-tested solution to violence and injustice—law and democratic government. Humanity has a sovereign right to govern itself and this book offers viable alternatives as to how we can create a new social contract for the entire planet.
Part I Principles of Democratic Global Governance
- 1 The Peoples of the World Are Sovereign
- 2 The Case for Global Law
- 3 From World Citizenship to World Democracy
- 4 The Need for a Global Legislature
- 5 The War System and the Wisdom of Federation
- 6 How Do We Create a World Government?
Part II Global Problems that Need Global Solutions
- 7 Eliminating Nuclear Weapons
- 8 Global Sustainability through Global Law
- 9 World Democracy and the Global Energy Crisis
- 10 Overcoming Poverty through Global Government
- 11 The Need to Rethink Borders
- 12 The Critical Role of the US in Global Governance
- 13 How Do Corporations Influence the World?
Part III Global Activism for a New Epoch