Definitions: (1) having or causing a feeling of great pleasure, joy, or contentment; pleased; satisfied; delighted; (2) favored by circumstances; lucky; fortunate; (3) exactly appropriate to the occasion; suitable and clever; felicitous; apt
Synonyms: blissful, blithesome, glad, merry, prosperous, successful
• Effort does not always produce joy, but there is no happiness without intelligent effort. — The Urantia Book (48:7.10)
• I hope you find, as I did, that happiness comes from noticing and enjoying the little things in life. — Barbara Ann Kipfer (1954 – ) 14,000 Things to Be Happy About
• No man is more unhappy than the one who is never in adversity; the greatest affliction of life is never to have been afflicted. — Tryon Edwards (1809-1894) American Theologian
The rules of a happy life:
1. Don’t sweat the small stuff
2. It’s all small stuff — George Elliot [born Mary Ann Evans] (1819-1880) English Novelist
Comment: The difference between happy and joyful is situational. It is hard to be happy while you are in pain, but the higher quality of joy can be experienced even in the face of great difficulty.
Suggestion: Decide to be happy – sincerely and completely – in the manner of the third definition above, “exactly appropriate to the occasion.” When you are happy in this way you are truly on your way to being content.
We all want to be happy, but sometimes it seems impossible. Even when you find yourself in an unhappy state of mind, you have to move forward in time anyway, so move forward with a positive, hopeful attitude. This will partially displace your actual attitude. You will be living on two levels: the level of your practical, realistic, daily life and the level of a higher, farseeing life. As you move through the present, project your sensibility and understanding toward how you want to feel and think. Gradually you will be in that better future.
Symbols: 1) water maidens; 2) cherry blossoms; 3) a leaf (Chinese); 4) the bat (Chinese); 5) the sun (American Indian); 6) the Thunderbird (American Indian)
Definition: trusting cheerfully to Providence; carefree; happily unworried or unconcerned; easygoing; lighthearted
Comment: When you have faith enough to trust it all to God, you can afford to be happy-go-lucky.