Definitions: (1) desire for good accompanied with a belief that it is obtainable; (2) expecting to get what one wants and needs; (3) having the vision, energy, and ability to turn dreams into reality
Synonyms: confidence, expectation
Compatible Qualities: optimism
Consequential Quality: long-suffering
Music: “Over the Rainbow” (1939) — Edgar Y. Harburg (1896-1981) American Lyricist
• Hope springs eternal in the human breast. — Alexander Pope (1688-1744) English Poet
• Hope is a good thing, maybe the best thing and no good thing ever dies. — Frank Darabont (1959 -) The Shawshank Redemption
• If the universe seems to be trying to destroy you, the best way to fight back is with hope. — David Brin (1950 -) Brightness Reef
• Hope is an orientation of the spirit, an orientation of the heart. It is the certainty that something makes sense, regardless of how it turns out. — Vaclav Havel (1936 -) Czech Poet and Politician
The Basics in Life:
3. Hopes – goals and desires
Reflection: Hope is aspirational but its engine is tenacity. It runs on spunk with an overview of determination. Each small step is a victory. Each corner turned is a milestone. The ratchet locks into place and you never need go back.
Comment: You can get there from here. You can always get to nirvana or normalcy or wherever you want to get, even if you are at rock bottom. Be grounded where you are and continue your journey. As you make up a new life, look back and gather the best of what you have achieved to make progress through the benevolent use of your experience.
Colors: blue, green, orange, rainbow
Symbols: 1) seeds; 2) the anchor; 3) the helmet; 4) water lilies